Most production music writers are missing a significant income stream: neighbouring rights royalties. 

What are they?

Neighbouring rights are related to the recording of a piece of music. The artists and musicians on the recording are entitled to receive royalties every time it is broadcast on TV or radio.

AM i entitled?

If you write production music and you perform on the recording then you are entitled to neighbouring rights royalties in many countries. 

why am I not receiving any royalties at the moment? 

Royalties from neighbouring rights are collected in many countries but often don´t reach you. Most writers neglect them as the organisations that collect them are difficult to work with and the processes and distribution rules are unclear to them.



What can we do for you?

You are likely losing the majority of your neighbouring rights royalties even if you are registered with a neighbouring rights society.

We will register you and your tracks with all neighbouring rights societies directly, making sure you receive all of the royalties you are entitled to.


Why us?

NRG is run by an experienced team that understands the specifics of production music. For years we have been working and lobbying to better the neighbouring rights situation in regards to production music.

We are only paid a commission when we collect royalties for you so we have the same incentives. There are no hidden or upfront fees.


How to get started?

Complete our registration form via the button below and we will contact you about your specific situation and answer any questions that you may have.


Frequently asked questions

I’m still a bit confused, what are neighbouring rights?

Neighbouring rights cover the rights of artists and musicians who participated in a recording of a piece of music and the companies that organised and paid for the recording. These are different rights than copyright, which deals mainly with the composers and publishers of music.

When a recording of production music is played on TV or on the radio, the writer is entitled to receive royalties both for the copyright, which covers him or her as a composer and for the neighbouring right, which covers him or her as an artist and musician - i.e. playing an instrument, singing on the recording, etc.

Royalties for usage of the copyright are handled by performing rights societies such as BMI, PRS, GEMA, etc.
NRG does not deal with the copyright as this is done by your publisher.  


How do I know if I am owed neighbouring rights royalties? 

If you write and record music for production music catalogues, chances are that you should be entitled to neighbouring rights royalties. We are happy to consult with you if you are unsure about your specific situation. 

Doesn’t my publisher already handle this for me?

Most likely not. In most countries, the neighbouring rights societies will not allow anyone else other than the performer to collect those royalties. 


Doesn’t this conflict with my current publishing deals?

Most likely not. Standard production music publishing agreements are not in conflict. You have to specifically give your publisher a power of attorney to collect your neighbouring rights - something we haven’t yet seen with any of our hundreds of our clients.


I’m a member of BMI / ASCAP / PRS / GEMA etc. shouldn´t my society collect those royalties?

No. Performance Rights Organisations such as the ones listed above, are there to collect for writers/composers and publishers for the usage of copyright while neighbouring rights royalties are collected separately. 


I’m a member of a neighbouring rights society, shouldn´T they collect my royalties worldwide?

For various reasons, the exchange of neighbouring rights royalties for production music amongst the societies in different countries does not really work. Review your latest detailed statement to compare the amount of royalties you collect in your home country vs. other countries. Our goal is to get you the royalties from all the countries that you are entitled to. 


PPL informed me that I cannot get royalties for production music. What makes your service different?

It is true that PPL does not deal with production music due to the specifics of the UK system. Because of this, PPL does not collect neighbouring rights royalties for production music even in other countries, where the situation is different and where you are entitled to receive neighbouring rights royalties.  
Even if you are a PPL member, we can work with you to ensure you get paid from the countries that do pay out to production music.


What about U.S. writers? I have heard that U.S. recordings are not eligible to collect neighbouring rights royalties.

It is true that U.S. recordings and artists/musicians generally have a smaller scope of protection of their neighbouring rights in the world. However, there are countries where you are entitled to receive royalties and we will make sure that we collect on your behalf where possible.